This Case Study focuses on the importance of wearing PPE clothing to protect against
Arc Flash in the construction and utilities industries when working around buried services – it could save your life, like it did Mitchell’s.
An operative was using a shovel, while working as part of the digging team, when he struck an electrical cable, which led to an Arc Flash incident.
Fortunately, Mitchell was wearing suitable arc workwear, part of the ProGARM range of arc rated clothing and electrical PPE, which saved and protected him from further and more significant injuries.
We were fortunate enough to meet with Mitchell, a Team Leader for construction firm, Clancy Docwra, and his colleagues to speak to them about the day, the arc incident itself and the importance of keeping people safe while at work.
The video that ProGARM created in partnership with Clancy Docwra is to be used as part of internal training for their operatives and to better educate those working around live electricity, of the realities of the risks involved.
We thought it was too important not to show you, so please watch Mitchell’s story below and feel free to share.
Mitchell experienced an Arc Flash while on site at work. Thankfully his PPE saved him from serious injury.
“Probably about a year ago, I used to be on the Dig Team for Clancy Docwra. I unfortunately had a cable strike, it wasn’t anything too serious. It was on a house service of a property. We were digging down and I pushed my foot on the shovel, and the next thing I saw was a big flash; all up my chest and up to my face. I looked down at my PPE, the arc workwear that I was wearing, and it had burnt all of my top.”
“So when I had the flash, it just was sort of like a big bang to my face. After a while it sort of shook me. I took my top off and there were no marks on the inside of the top. It was all on the outside and there was a big line up to my throat, of where it actually stopped, towards my face.”
“So the damage could obviously have been permanent, obviously internal damage and external damage. I could have had facial scarring, body scarring and it could have really affected me.”
“So for my current job role as an FPM, Field Performance Manager for Clancy Docwra, I really stress the importance to my lads about wearing the correct PPE. Obviously having the impact of what happened to myself, I do know how much it can protect you. At the end of the day we want to do our job safely, and go home to see our families.”
Remember, PPE is the last line of defence. Make sure you have safe working procedures in place before undertaking any work near live electricity.
Stay safe and don’t compromise.
By Thorne & Derrick International